Mercer's Alliance with the Military

Mercer Douglas County Military event

Mercer University is dedicated to supporting the educational success of our servicemen and women, veterans and their families as they pursue their educational goals. This unwavering commitment has resulted in Mercer being named a Military Friendly School, a designation reserved for the top 15 percent of universities and technical schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace military service members, veterans and family members as students and ensure their success on campus. In April 2015, Mercer was named Georgia’s first Purple Heart University by the Military Order of the Purple Heart.
Best Colleges Veteran 2016            Purple Heart Art          Military Friendly 17yellow ribbon


Mercer is a federally designated “Principles of Excellence” institution, and we make it a priority to provide military-connected prospective students with superior assistance and communication throughout the admissions and enrollment process. The University also participates in the VA Yellow Ribbon program.

Scott Mahone, LTC (R)
Assistant Director of Operations
, Regional Academic Centers

Contact Scott for questions regarding the admissions process for veterans and active duty members, the Troops to Teachers Program, Post 9/11 GI Bill education entitlements, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E), Chapter 35 eligibility or the Yellow Ribbon program.

Marcy Mobini
Veterans Coordinator


Contact Marcy for assistance with completing the application for VA education benefits and eligibility certification.

Kim Meredith
Assistant Director of Career Services


Contact Kim for information regarding career management services.

Gary Hollums
Director of Operations, Regional Academic Center


Contact Gary with general questions.

Military service offers a tremendous array of education benefits for you and your family, and Mercer is dedicated in supporting our servicemen, women and veterans through a wide selection of education benefit programs. Programs offered to active duty military members, veterans and family members, include:

Post-9/11 "Forever" GI Bill Benefits
For military members who served honorably on or after September 10, 2001, this bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits without time limitations. Benefits are generally payable for 15 years following release from active duty. Payments are based on the amount of service completed after September 10, 2001. For academic year beginning August 1, 2017 and ending July 31, 2018, veterans entitled to the maximum (100%) benefit rate will received $22,805.34 for tuition and fees.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program can now transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children for attendance to Mercer University.

Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)
A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. (Rates as of May 2017: Macon location: $1,248.00; Atlanta location: $1,458.00).

Annual Books and Supplies Stipend
An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000.00 paid proportionately based on enrollment.

Yellow Ribbon Benefits
Mercer University also participates in the Expanded Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. This program can partially or fully reimburse the difference between your tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate, depending on your eligibility. The University can contribute a specified dollar amount of those expenses, and VA will match the contribution, not to exceed 50% of the difference. Only Veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
Veterans and service members may be eligible for opportunities and services offered through the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E). Learn More >
Montgomery GI Bill
The MGIB-AD program—sometimes referred to as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to Veterans and Service members who have at least two years of active duty. Benefits are generally payable for 10 years following release from honorable active service. Eligible Service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid is based on the type of training, length of military service, college fund eligibility, and contributions to the $600 buy-up program. Eligible members have up to 10 years to use MGIB benefits with some limited exceptions.

Fry Scholarship (Chapter 33)
The Fry Scholarship added a new eligibility criterion to Chapter 33. The benefit is available to the children and surviving spouses of service members who die in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Pays a benefit equal to the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. If you are a child, you generally must use your benefits between the ages of 18-26. If you are the spouse, your benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of your spouse.

Troops to Teachers
Pending availability of funds, Troops to Teachers financial assistance may be provided to eligible individuals as stipends up to $5,000 to help pay for teacher certification costs, or as bonuses of $10,000 to teach in schools serving a high percentage of students from low-income families. Participants who accept the stipend or bonus must agree to teach for three years in schools that serve students from low-income families in accordance with the authorizing legislation.
Learn more about Troops to Teachers >

  • Submit an application for admission at Be sure to indicate veteran status on your application.
  • Visit the VA website ( and apply for education and training benefits. The VA Regional Processing Office will promptly process your application and determine eligibility.
  • If you are a transfer student, use VA Form 22-1995.
  • If you are a survivor or dependent of a veteran, use VA Form 22-5490.
  • If you are a survivor or dependent of a veteran and transfer student, use VA Form 22-5495.
  • For VOC-REHAB eligible veterans at 100% rate, use VA Form 28-1900.

Mercer University will submit enrollment verification and tuition/fees to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Tuition and fees for chapters 31 and 33 are paid directly to Mercer’s Office of the Bursar. VA will send monthly payments for all other chapters (30, 35, 1606, 1607) to the students via direct deposit. If a student is eligible for other benefits (monthly housing allowance, books and supplies stipend or rural benefit payment), they will be paid directly to the student via direct deposit.